Each year, TRU offers it's In and Out of teenage wants and desires.
I want to share a few thoughts from their results. But not to steal TRU's thunder (or rights), I'm lifting only a few points and taking from their Fall 2007 results. They're interesting and suggestive for college stores, nonetheless.
According to TRU:
Of tech and toys - Technology:
- Console video games are MOST "in" according to guys, while online photo sharing tops the list for girls.
- Social-networking sites came in second for most "in" for both guys and gals.
- Virtual worlds seem to be just coming into the field of play.
Dressing the Part - Fashion:
- Sexy and revealing threads topped the list for most "in" with guys, while girls rated that lower on the list. Girls are preferring the girly and feminine look for now.
- Goth seems to be remain on the fringe, holding the last spot (most "out") for both sexes.
- Notably, business/professional dress ranked 3rd "most in" for both sexes.
You've Got Issues - Issues:
- Eating healthy is most "in" for both sexes. Stock those healthy snacks, everyone!
- Delaying sex until marraige is most "out" for both sexes. I'll let you decide for yourself what your store should or should not stock relevant to this one. :-)
More take-aways from the TRU research studies are available in The College Store magazine on a regular basis. And watch your e-mail for the TRU View e-newsletter.
Hope your 2008 is off to a good start!
Tony Ellis, CAE