Saturday, October 27, 2007

Hello My Name Is….

A speaker I saw recently reminded the audience that “Retail is in the Details”. And how true that is! Last night, after leaving the office from an extra-long day, I decided to treat myself to Chick-fil-A. I just love their traditional sandwich…and their service!

Let me recount my drive-thru experience as a prime example.

- Arrive at order position and am greeted with, “Hello and welcome to Chick-fil-A. My name is Amanda. May I take your order?”

- I made my request, which was confirmed and followed with a request to, “Please pull around to the window so I may complete your order.”

-As I often do, I thanked her for taking my order, to which she cheerfully responded, “My pleasure.”

-Upon reaching the window, the cashier greeted me and thanked me for offering my payment.

-Within the few seconds it took for her to process the transaction, my food was handed to her. She passed my change, receipt, and food along to me with a smile and, “Thank you and have a nice evening.”

Ordering fast food is a simple task that many of us do many times a month. So how is it that so many can get it so wrong.

Chick-fil-A, especially Amanda, had it down last night. She offered a perfect experience for me by getting the “details” right.

Oh, and the chicken sandwich was perfect…the final step in delivering on their brand promise.

Tony Ellis, CAE
tellis@nacs.org

No comments: